The Contractor has Substantially Completed the project as of December 15, 2017. A summary of works completed is as follows:
Intersection modifications at the following locations:
- Hunt Club Road at Riverside Drive (East Leg of intersection)
- Prince of Wales Drive, between Deakin Street and Hunt Club (Northbound RT lane onto Hunt Club Road at Hunt Club-Prince of Wales intersection)
- Prince of Wales Drive, between Blazer Avenue and Deakin Street (including improvements at the Deakin-Prince of Wales intersection, as well as the Blazer-Prince of Wales intersection)
- Prince of Wales Drive at Merivale Road intersection
- Amberwood and Prince of Wales intersection: new signalized intersection
- Construction of Multi-use Pathway on south side of Deakin Street, between Prince of Wales and MacFarlane
- Prince of Wales Drive at Fallowfield Road intersection
- Widening to permit painting of new southbound Prince of Wales left-hand turn lane onto Wellsmere Court (painting to be completed in Spring 2018).
Prince of Wales Drive Roadway Rehabilitation:
- Prince of Wales Drive from 480m north of Strandherd Drive to Blazer Avenue has been completed, as well as from Deakin Street to Hunt Club Road – approximately 6km.
- 2.0m wide paved shoulders on both sides of Prince of Wales Drive have been paved
- Replacement of guiderails
- Rideau Glen Drive Roadway Rehabilitation
- The Contractor will re-mobilize to the site in February 2018 to begin the extension of a culvert on the east side of Prince of Wales, approximately 200m south of Deakin Street.
- Following the culvert extension, the Contractor will be reconstructing the northbound lanes of Prince of Wales, within the ravine area (+/- 200m).
- In order to accommodate the work, traffic will be shifted to the existing southbound Prince of Wales lanes. A PSA will be drafted and issued prior to the lane shifts.
- The final asphalt paving along Prince of Wales Drive, between Blazer Avenue and Deakin Street, as well as final landscaping is scheduled to be completed in June 2018, weather-permitting.
- Final line painting to be completed by City Forces when weather permits. This will include the painting of the green thermoplastic pavement markings at intersections to denote cyclist crossings. Once the thermoplastic markings and paint have been applied, the cyclist crossing signals at the intersections can be commissioned.
Prince of Wales Drive Coordinated Network Modifications Project:
The City of Ottawa will be beginning construction of Prince of Wales Drive, as well as the Hunt Club Road and Riverside Drive intersection starting the beginning June. The modifications will improve the asphalt roadway along Prince of Wales Drive from 480m north of Strandherd Drive to Hunt Club Road, as well as complete a number of intersection improvements to mitigate the safety and flow of vehicular, cycling and pedestrian traffic along the Prince of Wales Drive corridor. Intersection improvements generally consist of widening to lengthen existing turning or through lanes, or to create new turning or through lanes. New traffic signals will be installed at several intersection locations. Residents may expect to see utility relocation work and pre-construction activities prior to the modifications. The Contractor is required to maintain a minimum of one lane of traffic in each direction along Prince of Wales Drive between 5am and 7pm;
Intersection modifications are:
- Prince of Wales Drive and Merivale Road intersection;
- Prince of Wales Drive and Amberwood Crescent intersection;
- Prince of Wales Drive, from Blazer Avenue to Deakin Street;
- Prince of Wales Drive and Deakin Street intersection;
- Prince of Wales Drive, from Deakin Street to Hunt Club Road;
- Prince of Wales Drive and Wellsmere Court intersection;
- Hunt Club Road and Riverside Drive intersection (east of Riverside Drive
The tentative construction schedules for June is as follows:
- Waterbridge Drive at Prince of Wales Drive (east side of POW), will be closed to traffic at the beginning of June for a period of up to two (2) weeks. Detours and signage will be in place;
- Waterbridge Drive at Prince of Wales Drive (west side of POW), will be closed to traffic beginning on June 19th for a period of up to two (2) weeks. Detours and signage will be in place to direct traffic to Crestway Drive;
- The proposed nightly closures of northbound Prince of Wales Drive, from Strandherd Drive to Fallowfield Road, are currently scheduled to begin the evening of Sunday, June 11th. The nightly closures of northbound traffic, between 7pm and 5am, will last approximately two (2) months. Work at nights are scheduled from Sunday night to Friday morning of each week (no proposed weekend closures of Prince of Wales at this time);
- Fairpark Drive at Prince of Wales Drive (west side of POW), will be closed to traffic during the nightly closures of northbound traffic.
For regular schedule and traffic updates on the project, please visit: http://bit.ly/2r4EqgU