I am pleased to report that the city will be proceeding with intersection improvements at Leitrim and Albion as part of Light Rail Phase 2 Trillium Line. Below is an overview of the proposed work.
PROPOSED ROADWAY MODIFICATIONS
Please note that the following roadway modifications are conceptual and intended to only illustrate the proposed function.
The specific modifications being proposed are as follows:
- Paving of shoulders on Albion Road to accommodate pedestrians, cyclists, stopped vehicles and emergency vehicles;
- Implementing concrete sidewalks on all quadrants of the intersection;
- Implementing smart channels on all four quadrants of the intersection;
- Addition of bike boxes on all four quadrants of the intersection:
- Widening of Albion Road on the approach to Leitrim to allow both additional northbound and southbound through lanes.
MODIFICATION OUTCOMES – BENEFIT AND IMPACTS
The proposed paved shoulders, curbs, concrete sidewalks, pedestrian countdown signals and painted crosswalks at the intersection will better accommodate pedestrians.
Paved shoulders will improve conditions for cyclists and enhance safe mobility.
The proposed intersection modifications will reduce delays experienced by motorists and better facilitate turning movements at the intersection.
The proposed intersection modifications will reduce delays experienced by transit and better facilitate turning movements at the intersection.
Adjacent Land Uses
Property acquisition in the amount of approximately 1600 square metres from the NCC is required for the widening along Albion Road north of Leitrim Road. Property acquisition in the amount of approximately 1400 square metres from various land owners is required for the widening along Albion Road south of Leitrim Road.
PROJECTED IMPLEMENTATION DATES
The project is bundled as part of the LRT Phase 2 Trillium Line which has a timeline for completion in 2021. However the intersection work must be completed before the Leitrim Overpass so the works will be completed well before 2021.